Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Life is Good. So good...

There is no way I will be able to blog about this weekend without sounding like a giddy little school girl, but I guess that is what happens when your heart is filled with joy.

For years now, I have prayed for a group of friends to call my own- not that Layne and I didn't have amazing friends before, because we do... but they weren't my own. There wasn't anyone I connected with on a "girl crush" level. No girlfriend that I could not only talk to everyday, but see as well. No one can replace the relationships I've established in my life to date, but I have wanted something more for so long. And I finally found it. It's crazy how life works. Layne's college roommate for 3 years is his best bud, Nick Holmes. Nick dated Sharon for a few years in college, and Sharon and Layne were the only two to move to Dallas post college. Now Sharon is getting married in September, and Layne and I are looking forward to the destination wedding at the Excellence Playa Mujeres.

Throughout all these wedding activities, I met a girl named Arundel Belll, who Sharon met through the Junior League. More on that in a bit. Arundel is the friend I spent so long praying for. Layne and I met her at a shower for Sharon and Brandon. I watched Layne and Arundel talk for 45 minutes before I interrupted them. When she walked away, Layne told me he just met the most interesting person he has ever met. I didn't believe him, but now I understand why. Arundel and I couldn't be more different, but I love our friendship. We both accept and cherish each other for who we are. No need to put on a face or fake a smile, no judgement. Next to Layne, Arundel was my biggest supporter when it came to school. She never failed to call and see how a big project or test went. When I'm not feeling like myself, she is there. What she doesn't understand, she figures out. And when I need an outfit, she is the first one to help me get it organized. It is such an incredibly blessing, and she has just as amazing of a relationship with Layne. I love hearing them laugh and cut up together.

Through Arundel, we've made some great friends. Alti and Bella live across the street from us in the Dallas Power & Light Building. Alti is best friends with Kevin who married Liz who is best friends with Arundel from childhood. We have walked into an amazing group of friends who we mesh so well with. We're constantly doing impromptu dinners during the week, and I'm amazed at how many people can get comfy in our tiny loft.

And on top of that, my Junior League provisional year has officially started. I went on an overnight retreat on Saturday/Sunday, and it was the most fun I have had in Dallas in years. The whole event was all based on getting to know people- and I had a blast. It was so easy to be myself, and it felt so good to be accepted for just being me. I met several girls who are going to be volunteering with me at the Museum of Nature and Science later this year. (I signed up to put on an event called Reptile Week. I bet you can't wait for more details about that!) I know this organization is right for me. I love the people, I love service aspect, and I love that I'm going to grow into a better person as a result of it all. Tonight I have a provisional meeting, and then I'm going out for dinner and drinks with some new girlfriends I met this weekend.

What can I say? Life is good, and I thank God for that everyday. The sun doesn't always shine. Sometimes you have to dance in the rain and hold on to hope like it's all you have left. But the clouds have passed over us right now, and we're living it up as much as we can. It's amazing what you can find at the end of the rainbow.